La Puente PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   
Saturday, 27 November 2010 21:50

La Puente is located 20 miles east of downtown Los Angeles in the San Gabriel Valley, the community of La Puente is predominantly residential and home to over 41,200 residents. Freeway access to the City is readily available from the 10 Interstate and 60 Freeway. Click here for maps of the City. The City was incorporated on August 1, 1956; however, the history of the community extends back much further. The City’s name "La Puente" means the bridge in old Spanish and refers to an early bridge built across the San Jose Creek by members of the Portola-Serra expedition in 1769, as they surveyed the region for Spain. A modernized version of the bridge can be seen in the City’s colorful seal. The community of La Puente began in 1841 when European settlers arrived by wagon train from New Mexico and obtained title to the large 48,000 acre Rancho La Puente. During the 1930's, the area was famous for its fruit and walnut groves. The largest walnut packing plant in the world was located in the City. Today, the suburban community of over 41,200 people is predominately residential (70%), with commercial land use located primarily along major highways and streets. Industrial land use is less than five percent (5%) of the City's 3.5 square mile land area.

Last Updated on Saturday, 27 November 2010 23:47